The Return

6:32 AM

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered" - Nelson Mandela

Have you ever returned to a destination years later to find that nothing has materially changed, and that the only thing that has drastically changed is you? I recently had this sentiment while visiting France last summer, and more specifically, Paris.

The first time that I visited Paris was in 2013. Like most people that fall in love with a particular city, I told myself that I would be back without knowing when or whether this would actually happen (because let's face it - there's so much of this world to see).

At the time, everything about the city felt novel and surreal. Time was limited, and naturally, the goal was to taste and see as many touristic attractions as possible and come home with a suitcase filled with souvenirs. I had a vision for my life that seemed so grand at the time, and once there, I set goals for myself that would stay with me until I returned. This period in my life was crucial, and assisted me in defining what success and the "good life" meant to me. Avoiding extremes by finding a sweet spot between familiarity and change, having personal values and standing by them, cultivating meaningful connections with family and community, and seeing "work" as an act of service.

Musée Rodin
While on exchange in 2015, Paris became more of a weekend escape from my studies in Nantes with friends. We visited all of the places that we didn't have the time to see during our previous trips, and wanted to discover new arrondissements and the "lesser known" museums and exhibits.

I returned last summer with one purpose: to relax. To catch up with old friends, enjoy an espresso on a terrasse, and see a PSG football game on a Sunday night.

My mental map of the city came to life as each borough sparked a colourful memory of an animated conversation with a friend and the discovery of a new spot. As nostalgic as it was, I made new memories to last a life time.

 Brasserie Greffulhe 

Another thing that you will realize when returning to a familiar place is how much you've grown as an individual. Your priorities have changed. Many of the goals that you have worked towards will have come to pass. If they haven't, you're somehow at peace with that, because you know that they probably weren't as important as you had thought that they were.

Musée Rodin gardens

Marvel at this sentiment.  Question how these good things came about, and take the time to be grateful for them. Set new goals for yourself. They may seem lofty now, but time has taught you that they could very well become a reality.

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires

Subscribe