Guadalajara

11:39 PM

Hello everyone,

I hope that you are all doing well and keeping safe.

This afternoon marks the end of yet another semester (!). Cue happy dance. 

I'm reminded of all of the incredible events that happened throughout the academic year that (as of late) feel so far away with everything that's transpired over the past few months.

I thought I'd write a short and lighthearted post about my trip to Guadalajara, Mexico last October for an international conference on the USMCA trade agreement.

I remember that this trip felt like such a welcome break in the middle of an unusually chilly October. With fall reading week around the corner, most of my assignments and papers were due by the end of the week. I completed most of my work on the plane, in my hotel room, or on any even surface that I could find while waiting in Atlanta for my layover flight to Guadalajara.

In short, this opportunity didn't come at a "good" time (if that even exists), but I managed to squeeze it into the routine and make it work.

In hindsight, I'm so glad that I went.


Most of the two-day trip was spent indoors reporting on presentations concerning investment-state dispute mechanisms and the distinctions between the NAFTA 1.0 and 2.0 trade deals.

I still managed to make the most of sunshine and thirty-degree weather in the mornings by waking up extra early.

Huevos Rancheros
After the conference ended, we were taken on a campus tour of the Panamerican University at Guadalajara.
The Law Faculty's Moot Court
One of the conference organizers was kind enough to invite us to his home for dinner, where we spent hours asking each other about our career paths in law, discussing the differences between practicing law in Mexico, Canada and the U.S., and learning about beautiful Mexican vacation spots (other than Playa del Carmen and Cozumel).

Tequila and Mezcal tasting


These times have taught me that travelling really is the biggest luxury of them all.

It requires not only time and resources, but health and economic stability.

No matter how short the trip, the bonds that you make, the incredible people that you meet, and the moments you share together will last a lifetime.


Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the day that the global pandemic is over and the travel ban lifts. But more importantly, I look forward to the day that we can all gather together with our loved ones and explore again.

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires

Subscribe